Friday, January 1, 2010

How Mom Met Her New Baby

This post is actually for my brother and his family. Some background info if you're not my brother or his family: my mom and dad had a miniature schnauzer that they loved like no other. We often joked that they loved that little dog more than they ever loved us kids. They never denied it. They had him for 12 years. During this time, he got poisoned from dog food made in China, developed diabetes (which they treated with two insulin shots each day), and eventually went blind from the diabetes. A week before Christmas, with my dad in the hospital, their little dog died. My parents were devastated, especially my mom. My boys have taken turns staying the night with her so she would't be alone at night as my dad remains in the hospital. Last night, Brooke called me in to look at an online classified ad for a miniature schnauzer. There were no pictures of her yet, but she sounded perfect. I quickly e-mailed the owner and eventually she sent some pictures. We drove up to Salt Lake today to meet her and she came home with us. The plan was to keep her secretly until my mom's birthday on the 15th. We decided instead to give her an early birthday present at a little family New Year's gathering tonight. This video shows what happened:

5 comments:

Gwen said...

Hey! You posted! This is such a sweet video! Thanks for sharing!

Heidi said...

Love the story, I cried with you. You're a good daughter. I do have one question, though, why had you named it "Heidi"...?

Ferrill said...

Because schnauzers are of German origin and Heidi is a German name. And because it's cute!

Storms, Rainbows and Sunshine said...

I like the name of your blog. I came here because I was looking to see if the name was taken. Your blog looks great! I am LDS too!

shirley said...

Ferrill, that was such a special
thing to do for your mother. Thank
you for sharing!.
Mom