Last Saturday, my sister-in-law, Kate threw a surprise birthday party for me. I was beyond surprised. Several of my friends were there, as well as my mom, my sister, and Kate's mom. We had a delicious taco salad bar followed later by Cheesecake Factory cheesecake and Italian cream cake. Mmmmmmm! Kate then had everyone give me some sort of advice for being forty. Some of the advice that I remember included "living one day at a time", "setting goals and constantly re-evaluating where I am" and "following and realizing my dreams." Then Kate had everyone write as many fabulous things about me as they could in forty seconds. It was a surreal experience to listen to everyone read their lists. Talk about an amazing experience that everyone should get to experience at least once in a lifetime! Kate is going to type up the advice and "fabulous things" for my scrapbook. I can't wait to re-read them. What a blessed girl I am. I have such wonderful friends and family. I found out that Kate and Brooke had been planning this surprise since Christmas Eve and not one person let the cat out of the bag!
The next day, Sunday, I was saddened to hear that one of my best friends who didn't make it to the party had been diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. She is younger than I am. She has had some priesthood blessings and feels confident and at peace that she is going to be able to beat it. She's feisty, extremely independent, and spiritual, so I don't doubt that she will, I just feel so bad for what she will have to experience along the way. She's fiercely private and all the phone calls, visits, and questions from well-meaning friends and people in the ward have been overwhelming for her. It will be difficult for her to accept help when the time comes that she needs it. So for now, our prayers for her will have to suffice.
Only minutes before, I heard that our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, had passed away. What an amazing man! He was 97 years old, so obviously his time was coming, but I was still surprised to hear it. It was a bittersweet moment. I will miss him immensely and I mourn his passing from this earth. On the other hand, how wonderful for him to be reunited with "the girl of his dreams", Marjorie, who preceded him in death almost four years ago. A beautiful tribute can be found here on Jessica Sprague's blog.
Yesterday was my 40th birthday. Brooke took me out to lunch at Mimi's Cafe and we enjoyed Italian cream cake with the boys and my parents last night. The day passed quickly and quietly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment