We've had a scary couple of days. Caiden had a headache last weekend and began complaining that he was dizzy on Sunday morning. It is not unusual for him to have headaches and he had been working outside for a couple of days, so I figured the dizziness was due to fluid in his ears from allergies. When I went to pick him up from school on Tuesday, not only was he staggering, but he was slurring his words together when he spoke. I got the first appointment at his pediatrician's office the next morning. That night he had a concert at the school in which he played bari sax in the jazz band and the 8th grade band and sang in the advanced choir. He fell off the steps to the stage that the choir was standing on. Someone had bumped him slightly, and it knocked him down. He wasn't hurt, thank goodness.
The next morning, I took him to the pediatrician's, and they had us drive him right up to Primary Children's Medical Center (the region's pediatric hospital). After a CT scan, a lumbar puncture (ouch!), an MRI, and too many exams to count (from ER staff, neurological staff, infectious diseases staff, general pediatrics staff and numerous medical students), it was decided that he had Miller-Fisher Syndrome. He had a cold a couple of weeks ago and the antibodies in his body began attacking his nervous system. It seems that his case is relatively mild (some people go into a coma) and he seemed to be improving today, so his neurologist discharged him tonight. He will need to go to physical therapy and will need to have a check-up with his neurologist in 2 to 4 months, but it should resolve itself.
We're so grateful that it wasn't any worse. One of the residents assisted Brooke in giving him a priesthood blessing yesterday and we know that he was in the prayers of our family and many friends for which we will be eternally thankful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yikes! I'm glad everything looks OK with Caiden. How stressful and scary! And I should be PACKING, but can't keep focused. One week to go Please take care and I'll talk to you soon!
Post a Comment