Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Day

Christmas day was wonderful! My parents came over that morning to watch the kids open their presents. We began by reading the story of the nativity out of Luke 2. We then had family prayer before opening presents. By then, our very active boys had settled down and we enjoyed opening gifts, one at a time. The last person to open a present then selected a present under the tree for someone else to open. We continued that way until all the gifts were opened. It was an enjoyable and peaceful morning.

We then had brunch. I make a mean "mountain man casserole" which has become a tradition, as well as crockpot apple oatmeal. My mom brought over orange rolls (my favorite) and some macadamia caramel rolls. Food really is a huge part of our family celebrations. My family is loaded with great cooks, and we always eat well.

My parent left to visit with other family members, and while the boys happily (and quietly, I might add) played with their toys, I settled down for my long winter's nap! That evening, we drove around to look at Christmas lights to finish off a perfect Christmas day!

A few pictures:

Grandma and Grandpa watching some one open a present:



Alex opening a present:



Alex crawling around the tree looking for the next gift. Notice the decidedly unmatched pajamas. Usually, Santa delivers matching jammies to the boys on Christmas Eve while we are gone to someone else's house for our annual celebration. Somehow, it didn't quite work out for Santa this year. Besides, even if Santa had delivered new Christmas PJs, past experience has shown that Alex would more than likely refuse to wear them.



Bry opening a present:



Caiden showing off his new suit:

4 comments:

Gwen said...

You've been a busy blogger!! I'm glad you had such a nice Christmas! I'm impressed with your tradition of reading the Christmas story on Christmas morning! Did the boys let you sleep in a little? We slept in til 7:00. Not too bad, huh.

Ferrill said...

Actually, in the past we've read the Christmas story on Christmas Eve. With all the hustle and bustle of hosting our family get-together, it just didn't happen. I think reading it Christmas morning will become our tradition from now on. We actually had a captive audience and it set a nice tone for the morning.

Heidi said...

Boy, you make a feast! I wish someone in my family would do that. You are making some great memories for your kids. Trust me, all that work will be recognized by them in the future. (If it's not now).

Here at home said...

Ferrill, you have quite a talent for taking pictures. They are all awesome. I'm glad you had a wonderful Christmas.