Thursday, February 26, 2009

Valentine's Re-cap


Before the month of February is completely over, I've decided to go ahead and write about Valentine's. Caiden and Bry had their Klondike Derby winter campout Friday night, so we sent Alex over to Grandma's and Grandpa's for a sleepover and Brooke and I got away for the night. We stayed at a hotel with an in-room jacuzzi, as well as a huge whirlpool spa in their pool area. I love soaking in jetted, hot water! We went to Mimi's for dinner and then saw "New in Town" at a movie theater. Saturday, we went to Gardner's Village, a fun little store called Home Again, and then off to Ikea to spend a gift certificate I received for Christmas. It was a fun, relaxing, albeit short, getaway!

The boys wanted custom valentines this year to share with friends, so we took pictures of them with their fist held out in front of them, glued the prints on a homemade photoshopped card, and then cut slits above and below their fists to slip a sucker through. They turned out really cute! My favorite was Caiden's. He was being a little goofy, but it had a lot more personality because of it.



I usually don't do a lot of decorating for Valentine's, other than hanging a few little red heart doilies among the hand-cut snowflakes that I hang on the ceiling in the living room for most of the winter:



This year, I bought a little box of plastic heart ornaments for only $5 at Wally-World and hung them around the kitchen: on the wreaths that hang from my cabinet doors, on the light fixture above the table, and from the ceiling. That little $5 purchase went a long way spreading the love around my kitchen. There were even a couple leftover that I hung on my china cabinet in the living room! Fun stuff!



Today was my temple day. For over a year, I've been going to the temple with a group of friends once a month. This month we began going a second time during the month to accommodate another friend who wanted to go with us, but works most days. Afterwards, we always go to Zupas for lunch. It's so much fun to have a girls' day twice a month and get in some good spirituality while we're at it.

3 comments:

Amazed said...

I loved your Valentine decorating...and some of my kiddo's did the sucker cards as well. Yours were darling! And I love goofy boys.

Speaking of boys, how is your one son's health? All better or is it still in progress?

And your get-away sounded heavenly!

Gwen said...

I really like the custom valentine card idea-- how cool is that? :)

Now if the weather will just warm up, we can look forward to SPRING!!

I obviously haven't gotten over to your house-- this week was absolutely insane!! I am hoping next week will be somewhat less busy...

Darla said...

You are so great with the decorating! I'm lucky if I get Valentines made for my kids...let alone decorate my house for the occasion. What a woman!